Monday 14 July 2014

TV: The Strain SE1 EP1

The Strain
Drama, Horror, Sci Fi


I spoke a little about this in my mass post of upcoming new shows and it's finally here! A friend recommended me the book by director Guillermo del Toro who's dark, spooky style is well known from Pan's Labyrinth. I'm glad I read it before the show came out...at least I was semi prepared for the creepy factor.

It starts with something we've seen in these kind of shows before: a dead airplane. There is a mixture of traditional vampire mythology: the coffin of dirt, being transported over water, what I think is a Master, etc. But it's just a tad different. I might be giving some of it away here but I'm assuming most of you will figure all this out in the first couple of episodes. There are vampires... but they're not the sexy, fang sporting vampires we are used to. These vampires are infected with a parasite and they feed via these really ugly looking stingers. Very cool, very spooky.

I recognised Corey Stoll right away even though with the hair he looks a little different from his House of Cards role. Mia Maestro (Alias, Twilight: Breaking Dawn) was also hard to miss, she's showing up everywhere lately. They play the two leading CDC investigators who got more than they planned for with the dead airplane. David Bradley (Filch from Harry Potter) plays a kooky old dude who's apparently dealt with these monsters before.

The first episode has not disappointed so far: it's sufficiently spooky and mysterious. Even having read the book I'm still interested in watching the show, which is a good sign. It's set to get even creepier so give it a go and let me know what you think.

4 out of 5 parasites...

No comments:

Post a Comment