Sunday 15 July 2012

Movie: The Help (2011)

The Help (2011)
Drama


Originally a book by Kathryn Stockett set in the early 1960s centred around the Civil Rights Movement. It stars Emma Stone (Zombieland, Crazy Stupid Love) - love her - as an aspiring writer in Jacksonville who decides to write a book from the perspective of the African American maids. Some of the stories these ladies come out with; hilarious.

This movie is sad, happy, entertaining, informative and funny. Tate Taylor who wrote and directed the screenplay has done an amazing job to get all this into the film. Then again, it is a great story and Stone is surprisingly fitting to the role, to say nothing about Violia Davies (Eat, Pray, Love) and Octavia Spencer (Never Been Kissed)! These two ladies were amazing!

Other notable performances by Bryce Dallas Howard (The Twilight Saga: Eclipse) as the despicable Miss Hilly, and I was pleasantly surprised to see Maggie Smith (The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel) and Nelson Ellis (True Blood) play blink-and-you'll-miss-'em roles.

Some of the things these snooty upper class white women say and do to their maids is atrocious. I cannot believe we treated people this way, that we still treat people this way. It disgusts me and I'm glad those women had their secrets aired. I'm just sad no one else knew it was them...

Loved it! This is a film I will recommend to my mum.

4 out of 5 stacks of dirty dishes...
"One time he asked me why I was black and I done told him it was 'cos I drank too much coffee" - Violia Davies.

No comments:

Post a Comment