Tuesday 18 September 2012

Movie: Dark Shadows (2011)

Dark Shadows (2011)
Comedy, Fantasy


I loved this film! Love, love, loved it! But I am a HUGE fan of Tim Burton (Edward Scissorhands, The Nightmare Before Christmas) and his wife, Helena Bonhem Carter (Sweeney Todd, Harry Potter). Not to mention their constant companion, Johnny Depp (uhh, need I tell you what he's in?).

Burton and Depp fit so well, as I'm sure you can tell from the billions of movies they've done together over however many years. All three are amazing artists - note that I say artists and not actors. These guys belong on a stage and you really have to keep that in mind while watching them, I think. Burtons' dark style fits so well with Depps' over acting, huge gestures and that voice! They are the perfect combination in my opinion. In saying that, I can understand why some people don't like this style.

Besides the awesomeness of the three above, this movie stars Michelle Pfeiffer (Batman Returns, Hairspray), Eva Green (Camelot, The Golden Compass), Johnny Lee Miller (Hackers, Trainspotting), Aussie Bella Heathcote (Neighbours, In Time) and Chloe Grace Moretz (Kick-Ass, Let Me In). With their brilliance combined - plus a dash of Alice Cooper - they make an funtastic film!

It's a typical fairy tale comedy; terribly hilarious I thought. If you don't like Tim Burton or Johnny Depp then you obviously won't like this. Set in the 70's the story revolves around a spurned witch who then casts a spell to turn the guy - Depp - into a vampire, then locks him in a grave for a hundred or so years. The result is hilarious! Having emerged from the grave, the first thing our hero does is track down his remaining family, The Collins' and rescue them from impending poverty. This is the quirkiest family I've ever seen, including my own!

Watch the film, good for all ages! I will watch it again for sure.

5 out of 5 coffins...
[Quote]
Barnabas Collins: Fifteen and no husband! You must put those birthing hips to good use less your womb shrivel up and die.
Carolyn: You're weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment