Wednesday 3 April 2013

Movie: Hachi (2009)

Hachi: A Dog's Tale (2009)
Drama, Family


I've had nothing to watch lately so I found this blogpost titled 50 Great Movies You've Never Seen and you know what? I found a crapload of movies I haven't seen! I know, I was shocked too! I started with this one because I'm a sucker for animal stories... yeah, that's right, I liked the dog better than Richard Gere, and really Hachi is the star of the movie, sorry Richo!

You might want to heed this warning, unlike me; Have tissues handy! I was warned and thought, yeah right. I was so, so wrong. I sobbed like a little bitch....and so did my husband. Seriously, I was snotting and everything. What is it about animal films that makes us so vulnerable? The last time I cried this much was during PS. I Love You - such a beautiful movie!

This film is based on a true story, albeit an older true story and situated in Japan which the movie is not. It is also a remake of a 1987 film of the same name. Hachiko is an Akita, a Japanese dog bred specifically for hunting. Somehow Hachi gets lost in transit and is found and adopted by a Professor. Hachi faithfully follows his owner to the train station every morning and is there waiting for him when he returns.

It's a lovely story but there's not a lot to it. It goes exactly as you expect it to, there is no surprises and yet it's  beautifully entertaining. Animal lovers will... love it!

3 out of 5 tears in a bucket...

No comments:

Post a Comment