Thursday 7 November 2013

TV: The Tomorrow People SE1 EP5

The Tomorrow People
Drama, Sci Fi


Now that's more like it! Maybe Marvel should be taking lessons from Julie Plec (writer/producer of The Vampire Diaries, The Originals). This show very much reminds me of Dark Angel (again) mixed with a little bit of Nikita.

It's the story of the next evolution of humans; Homo Superior... Yes, terrible name and they admit to that a few times in the show itself. I also have a little trouble with them referring to them as not human and a different species... if I found out I had a mutated gene, I wouldn't be suddenly inferring I'm of a different species. I don't think I would be comfortable with that. Also, in making that claim it can semi-justify violence against them, because they're not human. I don't like it...

Teleporting...
Anyway, there is an underground group of these super humans who can teleport, have telekinesis and can read minds. The CGI on the teleporting is actually pretty cool; it's a little Stargate-y or Jumper-ish, they kinda suck into themselves. Plus these guys can fight! The fight scenes in this show are so much more impressive than Agents of SHIELD... though I've always wondered how guys manage to pull off an awesome roundhouse kick in a those tight jeans... mmm...

Story revolves around Steven (Robbie Amell from Revenge) who is the prodigy son of the savior... or something like that anyway. He has more than just the three powers mentioned above but he's still trying to work out how to use them. While trying to find his every elusive father he gets tangled up in his evil uncle Jedikiah's (Mark Pellegrino most recently from Revolution and Being Human but I know him from his role as Lucifer in Supernatural) plans to eradicate his species. Steven works for his uncle while also helping his underground friends John (Luke Mitchell, who is an Aussie!) and Cara (Peyton List from Mad Men). Honorable mentions go to Sarah Clarke (Twilight, 24) as Steven's mother and Jason Dohring (Veronica Mars, Ringer) as the diabolical Killian McCrane.

Not a bad show, I think I'll keep watching it just for Mark Pellegrino who plays such an awesome bad guy. Let's see how the rest of the season plays out eh?

3 out of 5 Stargates...

PS. Yes, I know I've been posting a lot of mediocre shows, but I like putting up different shows rather than reviewing the same ones every week and all the new shows are a bit meh so far... like I said though, we shall see how the season plays out. We might be pleasantly surprised with some of them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment