Tuesday 28 January 2014

TV: True Detective SE1 EP3

True Detective
Crime, Drama


I'd seen this on my list of new shows but I didn't even bother with it at first thinking it was just another detective show and I have enough of those at the moment. Then my sister linked me the above trailer and I realized that I absolutely had to give it a go. For a start, it's HBO who have been responsible for True Blood, Game of Thrones and The Newsroom. Then of course there's Woody Harrelson (Zombieland, Natural Born Killers) and Matthew McConaughey (The Lincoln Lawyer, Magic Mike) together! It's like they were made for each other.

McConaughey plays smart and strange Rust Cohle. He's cold and calculating but he's a fantastic detective. His monologues alone are worth watching this show. His partner Martin Hart (Harrelson) is the more stable, typical detective. He spends most of his time trying to figure his partner out, poor fella. The show revolves around these two detectives, their partnership and an old murder case. The timeline flicks back and forth between telling the story of the case in the present and the past where the case occurred.

I like that it's set in the past (I think it's mid-90's) and the use of computers and mobile phones is not apparent - it's a real detective story. The two leads are insanely good of course, they hold the focus of the viewer even if you can't always understand what they (Cohle) are saying. The tension between the two detectives is obvious, as are the personal problems of each and the fact that somewhere along the line, something happened in the investigation. I also think I remember a snippet in the first episode where the present time detectives interviewing Cohle and Hart admit that the murderer is back. I have a feeling they think Cohle is responsible. I guess we'll see.

I'm intrigued to continue because of McConaughey and Harrelson. I've heard the second season has been picked up already, unsurprisingly, and HBO expect big things. So far it's a bit slow but I'm enjoying the way its shot and the characters. I'll give it more time before it gets a better rating from me.

2 out of 5 LSD flashbacks...

No comments:

Post a Comment