Tuesday 3 July 2012

Suggestion Sunday: The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (2011)

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
Comedy, Drama



I think this one was the winner of the day. Thanks Mum, you always know the good ones!

This is the story of a bunch of upper class English oldies who retire to a 'luxurious' hotel in India, only to find its not quite as they imagined. I thought the movie was quite enjoyable, the characters were likeable and it reminded me a lot of my own family with all the English sayings and mannerisms. I would love to watch this again with my mum and Grandma. I 'spose to some that sounds boring but it was just what I was after and it made me want to visit India and play street cricket with the local kids! That's the sign of a good movie, right?

I'd recommend this one, for sure! It's a lovely film and it made me wonder whether its based on a true story? I haven't found any evidence to support that but it was based on a novel called These Foolish Things by Deborah Moggach - which I've now added to my to-read list on Goodreads.

The cast is fantastic. Round of applause! Love, love, love Maggie Smith's (Harry Potter) character Muriel; she's so bitter and sarcastic, it's great! Typical Maggie. The cast also contains the multi-award winning brilliance of Judi Dench (As Time Goes By), Tom Wilkinson (The Full Monty) and Bill Nighy (Underworld), as well as Dev Patel of Slumdog Millionaire fame. How awesome is that cast!?

Entertaining and heart warming with just a touch of sadness;

5 out 5 Bollywood Ladies!


(After thought: I never knew how pretty Maggie Smith was when she was younger! Wow! Google her!)

No comments:

Post a Comment