Sunday 1 December 2013

Biopic: CrazySexyCool: The TLC Story (2013)

CrazySexyCool: The TLC Story
Biography, Music


When I heard about this biopic I had to go and find it. I grew up with TLC, they were my high school jam ya'll! Seriously, I remember hanging out with the girls in the quad and working out all the dance moves during lunch. We even did No Scrubs as one of our music assignments; I can still remember the lead guitar tab for that song.

I won't talk too much about the film because you should go watch it. I found it very nostalgic and a little weird to watch scenes that I can actually remember happening, reenacted by these three girls who look, dance and speak a lot like the real thing. I remember after they won a bunch of awards and were asked by the media how the high life was going and they revealed they hadn't actually made any money. I remember Lisa - Left Eye - burning down a house and causing all kinds of a ruckus.

The three actresses - Keke Palmer, Drew Sidora and Niatia 'Lil Mama' Kirkland - did an amazing job. They recreated all the video clips as we saw them. I actually got to a point in the film where I forgot they weren't the real thing and that they were acting. In fact, Lil Mama did so well at portraying Left Eye that T-Boz and Chilli signed her up to be a part of TLC 2.0. They performed together at the AMAs just a few days ago. I didn't particularly like that performance, but her part in this film was brilliant.

If you grew up with TLC like I did, you should watch this film. Very nostalgic, very in-your-face honest, very good.

4 out of 5 waterfalls...

RIP Lisa Lopes

No comments:

Post a Comment